How to Help a Loved One
How to help a loved one
Seeing a loved one experience challenge and abuse can be difficult. You may be criticizing their partner or pressuring them to leave the relationship. A better way to be present is focus on listening and offering support without advice or judgement.
Consider saying things like:
- I am concerned for your safety.
- You do not deserve to be treated this way.
- There is help available to move forward.
Sometimes a thoughtful question is the most useful way to be helpful. Consider asking:
- What would a healthier relationship look like?
- What steps can you take to find safety?
- How can be a resource to you as you try to think through your next steps?
Offer them available resources like the Baltimore County Domestic Violence Sexual Assault hotline -410-828-6390.
As a friend or family member you can be an important thoughtful resource. Connect with an advocate who can help you think in stressful situations and build capacity in yourself as a resource. Call 410-285-4357 to connect with an advocate.